rainbow on the farm

rainbow on the farm

Spirit moving sheep off the hay field

Monday, February 1, 2010

It's a beautiful day

Another pretty day here in NE PA . Early morning chores done and then off to Bunker Hill Vet Hosp. My young buck ( cat ) needed to um well...get de-bucked. Long over due as he is about one year  four months old. I am always sick about anesthesia...Phobic, really.  I also brought Deigh in because I noticed some edema under the base of her tail and along the mammery glands on the side where her tumor was removed. Better safe than sorry and unfortunatly with this type of Cancer it is not a matter of " if " but " when ". She also had been straining a bit when pooping. I guess I would too if something the size of a small orange was removed next to my lower  bowel / rectum. A rectal exam showed there was no new mass so just keeping an eye on things for now. A stool softener to make it a little easier for her to poop.

 I brought Paul down to Ro-No- Ranch yesterday to meet our new addition Diamond. He liked her very much and agreed she looked a lot like a little mare we had years ago name Sweet Basil. We really like the comfortable way Nola and Rachel run the barn. I will board Diamond there for a month or two to get back in riding shape ( there is a terrific covered riding arena ) and wait for the weather to start behaving it's self. I am excited about getting active in riding again. I knew something was missing, and that I was missing something. I think she will be okay for Paul to ride in time as well, so it will be nice to be able to hack together again

Paul stayed up today to help with chores today. It takes a good 45 minutes drive  to and then back from the Vet Hospital and always seems I have to go around feedings. I have to pick Thai up around four so this would not have me back at a reasonable hour for evening chores.

Planning on taking pups out into the small hay field for some sheep work. I have been doing most all foundation work in the small round pen but for one other time to see how they go in a bigger area. Since it is not fenced in more than barbed wire I don't want to do it unless I have backup. Pups have no real commands on them so if it breaks bad, nice to know there is someone else around to help if needed. First go was okay and the sheep I am using are really dependable level headed "been there , done that " types. I will continue with the round pen work until I see some real understanding of commands..Meaning stops  and call offs. The bitch pup is showing to be more reliable in this area for right now. The dog pup has more natural control and is more relaxed about his work but is not wanting to stop or quit when in the control pen ( or when he was out in the bigger field, for that matter ).  Given that they have had maybe ten goes on the sheep I am not expecting complete obedience , but I sure don't want them beating me out in a bigger area and learning they can.

Hoping the water line to barn is not frozen solid again. I need to fill all the water tubs today. The last cold snap it did not thaw for two + weeks and I had to rig several hoses up from the faucet at the house out to the barn, drain them, coil them up and back into the basement. P.I.A but better than lugging jugs I guess.
I had fitful sleep last night. Twice had a nightmare that my dad had passed away.  I woke up with a headache that is hanging tough, damn it. It's not a Migraine and I get headaches often so will just plug through it. Well that's it for now and I have been munching away on Cheeze-it's while blogging . I feel full and have nothing much else to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment