rainbow on the farm

rainbow on the farm

Spirit moving sheep off the hay field

Thursday, February 4, 2010

Diamond in the rough

Here are a few pictures of Diamond , our new addition to Swift Star Farm. That would be the theme for the day. I have three Diamonds in the rough that I hope to have polished to brilliance by the close of this year if not sooner. Diamond herself should be well on her way by summer. The other two, my pups are looking to be  on their way as well.
Today was spectacular. Bright blue , clear skys. Clean cold air to fill your lungs with. Sun shining with all it's got. Started the day ( after morning chores and coffee of course ) getting the two pups out on the sheep. We are now out of the round pen  and working in a bigger area roughly 2 acres. Both looked good. Rush is calming down and not so jazzed up as she had been. Was taking most all of her stops and lie downs. She as well as Flint are a little tight to the come bye direction (or is it they are a little wide on the away direction ? ) but again see nothing horrible for the amount of times they have worked sheep. Rush was a little tougher to call off today , but did finally agree to it. She was quite pleased with herself. I was too.
 Flint did much better today as well.He was lying down when asked on balance and even on wears ! He was staying focused and not blowing out  on a wide away flank. I had just been calling his name yesterday when he looked like he may do it. It would pull him in and he would then correct his mistake. He still does have a tendency to over run the balance point on an away flank. But again, I am doing my best to not make a big deal out of it and using his name and my body to show him how out of position he has gotten himself.  I did not attempt to call him directly off the sheep again and opted to just have him put them in the round pen. I then worked on him coming off the sheep , to me while he is looking and focused on the sheep while in they were in the pen. I hope it works !
Then I took the four adult dogs for a walk around the large hay field. Takes about 25 minutes to walk it. I need it, the dogs need it. No pups with us for now. It was enjoyable to not be worried about them taking off.

Then down to Nola's to work with Diamond. She was good today. Not too much shenanagins on the lunge line. I rode her for 20 minutes to a half hour. Still have not cantered her, but I will. Just want my seat and hands better. I did some bending and lateral work with her. She really needs to be more supple and is a little dead sided. When you press on her she pushes her side back at your leg instead of bending around it and giving to it. I was able to get her rounding well into her corners and some shoulder in's at the walk. I really like her so far.
Then back to do evening chores and over to my parents ( they live on our property in a mobile home ) for dinner. Leftovers. But I'm not complaining (okay, maybe just a little ). A quick trip to FB to put pictures of Diamond up and now the blog. I am looking forward to my few comedy shows and The Fringe tonight. I am tired though, Flint had to go out a few times last night to poop. I told him it was from eating that horse crap that I had scolded him about earlier in the day. Let's hope he does not repeat it again tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment