rainbow on the farm

rainbow on the farm

Spirit moving sheep off the hay field

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

The waiting is the hardest part...

Well , woke up to a few more inches of snow to add onto the blanket. It was not too bad. I am guessing after 18 or so inches from our last storm, a few inches would seem great.  It is in a way, but I am SOOOO ready to start with Mud, um I mean Spring.

I keep hearing over and over that Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers song . The waiting is the hardest part.
My sheep are due to lamb. I have 14 ewes exposed to two different Ram's this season. Eight hair and six wool . Last season I did a late breeding to a select few ewes and lambed late June through to early August . I am slowly adding the amount of ewes as well as tweaking with season to see what fits best with the weather up here. In a way it was a good thing I lambed late last year . It was being called the "summer that wasn't". I agree. Colder than average and higher rainfall.
So this time I thought, let's try March. Should be moderate temps and I have lot's of hay for the first month. Lambs can then get onto spring grasses in April. I'll let you know how it goes...
Look at some of my girls. Do you think they look ready to lamb?


I did catch one of my ewes talking to her daughter and explaining her future.



The kitchen is coming together. Just a little more work and then I can finish it up . It does really make a big difference from what it was. Just a little update. The kitchen is so so as it is and makes no sense to put too much into it. Someday down the road we hope to remodel and make it bigger . This will get us by for now. Though I really do wish there was room for a dishwasher. I hate handwashing dishes.
I'll take a few pictures when the guys are done and a before (not really because I did not take pictures of it before they changed out the ceiling and door ) I get in there and finish it off.

So that's about it for now. Maybe I'll have pictures of lambs to put up tomorrow???

No comments:

Post a Comment