rainbow on the farm

rainbow on the farm

Spirit moving sheep off the hay field

Saturday, March 20, 2010

two more lambs to the fold

The weather has just been splendid this week. I have gotten so much done. Finally got the Christmas lights off the house. Now, that has been bugging me. Too much snow and ice to risk taking them down sooner. I hate seeing them up on a house long after Christmas.

Yesterday when opening the windows to change out the air in the house I had something happen that I had been afraid of  since moving here. The windows are old double hung windows. Many (most) have to be propped open with wood because there is no tension to them. So while opening one of the windows it slipped away from my grip and I got one of my fingers squished up to the first knuckle in between the two windows. I can't begin to tell you how much that hurts!  I tried to lift the one window, that hurt too much . Tried to pull down the other window that hurt even more ! I ended up just yanking my finger out from the grip of both windows. That really hurt too but I was desperate at this point. My finger tip was flat for a good hour after getting it out. I iced it right away and I think that helped a lot. I felt sick to my stomach for quite a while. The finger nail is red so not sure if I'll loose the nail or not.
I seem to be very accident prone lately. Today Paul and I were moving some stockade fence sections and somehow a nail had stuck to a loose fence post and when we picked up the fence section the stupid post came up and wacked my shin ,  Ouch !

When we went out to feed up last night I heard the tell tale soft bleat of a mother ewe. We found one of my girls in the barn talking softly to her yet unborn lambs. This is the ewe who is the Katahdin / Cheviot cross. One of my lambs, not a purchased sheep.
Smart little thing and her first go at being a mom, right in the barn where it is safe. I stayed with her and when she was in hard labor I helped her with her lambs. Both lambs were in perfect position, I am sure she could have got through it okay without me but it being her first time I just thought I would help her along. She was so good and never fussed with me being back there at all and I think she really was happy I was there to help out. Two beautiful little ewe lambs. Her Mother will be proud as they now can show off their sets of twins together.













So far no lambs today.
Nola's son Robbie stopped by on " Jack " his Mule to see the lambs. We had also talked about stocking our pond with a few fish so he wanted to see the pond too. He is such a nice kid. So polite and comfortable around adults. Other than that we have just been taking advantage of this early warm snap to get some things cleaned up around the house and barn area.
I am really wondering what is going on with my one ewe. I thought for sure this one was to be the first to lamb (I also thought my Tunis was having twins or triplet's, so what do I know?) and still has not lambed out. I am thinking she is waiting for the weather to get bad and have them then.

No comments:

Post a Comment