rainbow on the farm

rainbow on the farm

Spirit moving sheep off the hay field

Monday, March 22, 2010

full tilt boogie

Yesterday we hit the ground running ! At about 4:30 in the morning while taking a trip to the bathroom I heard through the window the distinct cry of a new born lamb. So out to the barn to see what's up. I found a beautiful little brown new born Katahdin alone amongst the mass of sheep. I heard Momma at the back side calling to it. I picked her up and waded through the sheep to find Momma tending to two other little lambs! Triplets, and all ewes. Nice !


I got them set up in a jug and went back to bed for an hour or so.
When we went back out to do morning feed and chores we found another ewe in the barn looking ready to go. So we did the morning stuff and kept an eye on her. Just as we finished up she was ready to lamb. Twins, a ewe and ram lamb this time.
Five lambs on the ground and it was not even eight o'clock!
After a nice big farmers breakfast we went back out to tackle the day. I finally managed to trim at least one of my ponies feet, started shedding them out, scrubbed the water tubs and cleaned the paddock.
We moved the horse trailer , threw down hay to the lower barn . Moved a roll of fence and water tub out of the truck I had bought during the week.
We also did a road sweep of our and the neighbor across the streets property. I can't begin to tell you how much it bothers us to see trash on the roadside. We collected two huge bags full of plastic and glass bottles, cans and other crap people think nothing of chucking out their windows while driving by. Managed three really good walks and one trip down to the stream with the dogs as well.
We got back inside about 6:45 and I made Chicken Marsala for dinner, then a shower, and had about 45 minutes to decompress before the season opener for Breaking Bad. It is a dark show with depraved subject matter but the acting is just so good. I really don't know why but I just love this show.
I slept pretty well last night!
No lambs this morning . Someone who I won't mention looks like she MAY lamb today...but one never knows with her. 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for cheering up my Monday! The "AAWWWW Factor" in all these photos is off the charts! Just too cute.

    Ann Marie

    ReplyDelete