rainbow on the farm

rainbow on the farm

Spirit moving sheep off the hay field

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

and down the stretch they come !

I know it's been a while since my last blog. Not much to talk about. Too much snow to work dogs. I hurt my leg again trying to walk in the deep snow and have been a little pissy about it. I have been working hard at getting the kitchen project finished because I know once the weather breaks for the better I will not be in the house much at all and sure will not want to be doing any inside projects. It's now or never.

Yep, I think it just might be the beginning of a fresh new season. I had my doubts after getting dumped 26 or so inches of snow over several days as well as a very LONG string of overcast dreary days.  But the past few days have been very nice. Just warm enough to melt the snow at a reasonable rate and not cause flooding.

Today was particularly nice. I saw our first Red Wing Blackbird atop a tree hoping to attract a lady bird or two.




















The Maples are plump with spring buds















The stream is full and bubbling with the snow melt














The melt off is turning the place into little streams of runoff. So it has been a challenge to negotiate the running water, mud or deep snow in any given place
Still there were the usual few who enjoyed the walks during my breaks from the kitchen project I have been focused on.














Spirit was amusing herself with seeing how high she could jump .



















Bracken, really just does not see the point of it.


Even my horse Scotty was having some fun with the running water today.


So, back to the kitchen. The contractor had finished the rough work so this left me to staining and clear coating the molding and trim. Priming and painting the new ceiling and walls just over the cabinets. There was a really ugly dropped ceiling there when we bought this place that came down to the top of the cabinets and just above what was a french door. So when the drop ceiling came down the contractor covered the space over the cabinets with sheetrock to tie it in. There is oak paneling in much of the house.I'm not a fan , so 70's ! Anyway, it was not stained or clear coated where it was hidden under the drop ceiling. I had to then sand it , try to match the stain and blend the clear coat to what is on the panels that was below the dropped ceiling. I don't want to spend too much on this as hopefully at some point it will be gone too. I finished up with that today and it is matched pretty well.You still can see the mark where the metal frame was for the old drop ceiling but it is blended well enough that your eye is not drawn to it as it was before I messed with it some. There were two old ugly office type Fluorescent lights overhead. We changed them and put recessed lighting in the cooking area and a small ceiling fan with lights in the eating area. We also changed out a French Door with a Patio door.


So I am done. The contractor comes back Thursday and will get all the molding and trim up. I'll take some pictures of it finished. I am stiff and sore and feel my age! Will run my errands tomorrow and going over to Nola's tomorrow night for a little get together. Should be fun and she makes a mean frozen Margarita!

Oh and the sheep, I don't know what they are waiting on but STILL not one little lamb !

1 comment:

  1. The kitchen ceiling looks great! Even without seeing the drop ceiling first I can bet it's 100 times better than that!

    It must also be nice to see the farm melting into spring. How lovely!

    Can't wait to see those little lambkins!!!!

    ReplyDelete