rainbow on the farm

rainbow on the farm

Spirit moving sheep off the hay field

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

22 lambs in 14 days!

I think we are finished. I do have one ewe left who had been exposed to a ram but I think she did not get bred. So this is the end of a very busy two weeks here at the farm. Yesterday shortly after I posted my blog I noticed a ewe getting ready. At about noon she had a ewe and a ram lamb.














The weather started going down hill through out the day and sure as I suspected, you know who figured it would be just about perfect to have her lambs. Everyone else was kind enough to have lambs in the light of day. No, not her. Rain, wind, dark of night.
So at about 8:00 PM she was done, two cute ewe lambs on the ground.
" Salt and Pepper ".















I was happy for the two ewe lambs, but the mother was not letting her milk down. I could not get a good squirt out of either teat and only a sluggish amount from one. I milked out the ewe that had had her lambs earlier this afternoon and hoped 30 cc's for each lamb would suffice for colostrum. Granted it was not "first" milk but I figured it was better than none if the ewe was not able to supply these two with it.
I did see them nursing today but I don't think the will get enough . I called my neighbor Paul, a few farms down and asked if he had colostrum from any of his cows. He gave me some and I added lamb replacer to it and fed both lambs. They took it so I know they are not getting enough milk from their mom. I guess I will have to offer them a few bottles through out the days ahead. This ewe was bred and lambed twins the year before last with no issues. Still scratching my head on this one. Oh well, almost home free with out incident.

At about noon I saw my last ewe come in the barn and start digging her lambing spot. Around 2:30 PM she delivered a single LARGE ram lamb with a little help from me .


























I also milked about 60 cc's of her first milk and fed it to the two lambs born last night. Better late than never and it could not hurt them to get more colostrum.
So with the exception of the one ewe left I think lambing is finally over. She could have been caught late as the Ram she was with was not removed until 12/10 so she  "may" be cooking a bun or two in the oven. I am doubtful though.

I ended with a total of 15 ewe lambs to 7 ram lambs. I am so happy for this. Most of my friends who have finished or are still lambing have had the tables tipped the other way this year. I am glad for once to be lucky .
So other than the two sort of bottle lambs things should get a little more back to normal. Whatever normal is on a farm.....

No comments:

Post a Comment