rainbow on the farm

rainbow on the farm

Spirit moving sheep off the hay field

Saturday, March 13, 2010

And their off !

Last night after my Blog entry I went out to do evening chores and feeding. When bringing hay out to the sheep I noticed one of my ewes down the hill a bit and not coming up for hay.  Again , NOT the ewe who I thought for sure would lamb the other day !
Uh oh , I thought. Don't even THINK your lambing in the rain and cold out here tonight ! I was able to convince her she really should go in the barn and after a little coaxing she agreed. Around six thirty or so she delivered a little Ram lamb and shortly after a little ewe lamb.















This morning I noticed another ewe showing signs of early stage labor.
Convinced her the barn would be the perfect place to birth and just before noon today she delivered twins. Another Ram lamb and Ewe lamb.
 

I have a daughter of this ewe who is bred this year . I had crossed her to one of my Cheviots rams the year before last and the Cheviot Katahdin cross showed much more to the Cheviot side of the cross. I have bred this ewes daughter back to my other Cheviot Ram so it should have a real Cheviot look to the lamb (s) .

So it seems my ewes look to finally be getting with the program. I am bringing everyone in the barn tonight. We are looking at some heavy rain and high wind. Better safe than sorry .


1 comment:

  1. LOVE the little black one with the white fluff on his (her?) head!!!!

    ReplyDelete