rainbow on the farm

rainbow on the farm

Spirit moving sheep off the hay field

Friday, March 19, 2010

Gigantor!

Bigger than big, Taller than tall,Quicker than quick,Stronger than strong.
Ready to fight for right , against wrong !
GIGANTOR ! GIGANTOR ! GIGANTOR !!!
I know this dates myself but it was one of my favorite cartoons as a child.
Do you recall that huge Tunis I had been waiting on to lamb?
No, again not the ewe I thought was going to lamb last week.













I thought for sure triplets or at least twins.
NOOOOOO, a single HUGE Ram lamb.
She picked a nice spot yesterday up along the rock wall sheltered from the wind and on the south side where the sun felt so warm. Around 3:00 in the afternoon she was having good steady contractions. I waited close by to see how it would go, given I was certian of multible births.
As the lamb started to show I noticed right away the the hooves were facing up. UH OH.
I gave her some time and when I was only seeing two little legs and no face I thought that I most likely was going to need to help this ewe. I waited just a bit more and after another hard contraction and not much progress I saw the two little legs wiggling . I waited for her next contraction and went over to her. She got up right away but I was able to grab her and got just in front so I could get my knee in front of her shoulder. I reached around and grabbed the two legs and pulled. Ass backwards and upside down , out came this monster lamb. Figures another Ram lamb to boot! I can not believe this was the only lamb in this ewe. He is the size of my first born single ewe lamb who has eight days on him!
I call him Gigantor














The other lambs are out and about and doing well. So cute to see them.






































I have been sticking close to the house for just this reason. I am sure this lamb would have not made it had I not pulled him when I did. I needed to turn him upside down and give him a few swings to get the amniotic fluid out of his lungs. He was sputtering pretty good there and I was not sure if he may have taken in too much fluid. He seems okay today.
I got my vegetable garden and flower beds cleaned up while waiting on this ewe and had done some good clean up around the house the past few days.


Last night I did get over to Chip's ( Al's brother in law ) and  " helped " make maple syrup . Al called and asked me to bring eggs. Okay ??? I thought. So really it was just a bunch of us sitting around drinking , laughing and boiling some eggs in maple syrup that was boiling down over a wood fire. Met a few new people,  had a lot of laughs. Had a couple of Mike's Hard Lime-aid's and a hard boiled egg or two and called it a night.

 Got up at the crack for some reason today and no lambs born over night.
It has been just beautiful this week and have been enjoying the higher than average temp's we have had.

I  need to get to trimming some equine feet so may tackle a pony today. Had planned on trimming one of them yesterday but it does a number on me and when I saw  "wide load " getting ready to lamb what I thought and hoped were multiples I did not want to be too worn out. My eqines are in real need of trims and have neglected doing them because it was too cold. No excuse , but that is what I am going with. I wish I could find someone . I have asked a few folks in the area and they always tell me the farrier they are using is not taking new clients. Most don't want to be bothered with trims too. I really am not getting any younger and am sore a good day or two after trimming a horse or pony. Plus I ALWAYS manage to rake the rasp across a knuckle or too.THAT hurts!

Well that is about it for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment