rainbow on the farm

rainbow on the farm

Spirit moving sheep off the hay field

Friday, March 12, 2010

and then there were two

My ewes are really taking sweet time lambing out this spring! Yesterday I thought for sure a ewe was going to lamb. I waited and waited. She was pawing , restless, grunting when down. I got tired of holding vigil. I left an went down to Nola's for a while. She was tacking up one of her young Paso stallions  when I got there. She is focused on getting him ready for a show and I can understand the pressure she is feeling all too well. She has been refining his canter. A gait that is not something that comes natural to the breed. Her young stallion is getting it but like all of us better on one side than the other. I really was impressed with this young horses attitude. Nola really worked him and pushed him just a bit more than he wanted. He took it all and tried. He never got argumentative and you could see him processing the information she was transmitting and working hard to give her what she was asking for. When she felt she could stop on a good note she invited me to get up on him.I have never been on a "gaited" horse before. After working him just a little to get the feel of what they are about I was really taken with the smooth gait that is so natural to them. I did not want to do much since he had worked hard for Nola. I can see why people are taken with this breed. They are smooth as a Cadillac.


Yesterday was so beautiful. In the low 60's. I had the pleasure of seeing a flock of Snow Geese on the wing back north yesterday morning. They really were stunning against the blue sky overhead.


















We had really good melt off yesterday and I had strong streams of run off all over the property. I can see ground again...and MUD. Had to break out the short hose yesterday and hose the dogs down at end of day before coming in the house. The pups were pretty good about it and the older dogs know the drill by now.
Last check in the evening and still no lambs, nothing this morning when I went out to feed.

The contractor came today to finish up the kitchen. I would love to say the job is done. Too bad there was one piece molding short of finished. So he will drop off the last one over the weekend and I'll stain and clear coat it and it will be done! I took a few pictures that don't show the missing molding so you can see what it ended up looking like














So while the contractor was working , I checked on the sheep. I heard the tell tale digging and pawing....yep a ewe in first stage labor. NOT the ewe I thought would lamb yesterday though!
So another Katahdin single, but thankfully a ewe lamb .
The little black Katahdin Ram " Houdini " I used for this season sure is putting his stamp on his get !













No comments:

Post a Comment