rainbow on the farm

rainbow on the farm

Spirit moving sheep off the hay field

Friday, April 2, 2010

we cannot direct the wind but we can adjust the sails

I was going through pockets before doing wash and this little slip of paper was in the coin pocket of a pair of my jeans. Yes , it is a fortune cookie slip of paper. This saying makes much sense to me. Sometimes you just have to go with the flow even if it may not have been a direction you had plotted.

A sad day yesterday for me. The littlest of my set of three did not make it. It had been very small at birth and over the past ten days just seemed to be hanging on by a thread. We had some nasty weather three days ago. I had kept mother and triplets in that day for fear of them getting chilled. I had checked through out the day and around 2:00 we had some really cold wind with mix of snow , sleet and rain. Even though they were safe in the barn this little lamb looked too frail. Again when I came out at 4:00 it was flat out, but alive. I brought it inside and slowly warmed it. It was so cold I could not even get a reading on the digital thermometer. I slowly fed it dextros and warmed it up. By 11:00 it was back to a normal temp and was looking bright and alert. I was really surpised it made a turn around. I thought for sure it would die. On Wednesday it was doing better but had a bit of the runs. Not bad but I treated it for coccidia just in case. That afternoon I brought it outside and let it spend time with it's mother and sisters.while I did chores. Within an hour it was looking depressed again. I brought it back inside but found it had passed during the night. I know many would not even give a second thought or effort to save this little lamb. Maybe there was no saving it . I can't help but think everything needs a chance. I did what I could but it was just not meant to be. This little lamb who was just rounding ten days weighed three pounds and was so very small.

On a plus I have been getting the pups out a few times this week and they sure are looking nice. Amazing to me to think that Flint who has been on sheep 15 or so times can run out 100 yards, has a nice fetch and is wearing nicely. Lie downs are close to solid and his shape of flanks are sweet. He could run in a Novice Novice trial and do well. At ten months old.
I think of when I first started this  journey and it would have taken me months to get this on a dog ! I have gotten better and the dogs I have are better, I think.
Rush is looking better too. We have had some talks about her barreling into the back ends of the sheep when wearing and seem to have reached a meeting of minds. She is running out well , though a few times has crossed over just in front of the sheep to her more comfortable side. More my fault than hers.
Today she even gave me a few yards of the beginning of a drive. Not much but it was set up and we just went for it. She moved them 10 or 15 yards before she flanked to turn them. We have been working on the name of flank direction and while I know they still do not know what comebye or away to me is yet, I do see them starting to put the words to the motion. Same for walk up. The lie down has been good so far. Flint is getting better about taking off to gather the sheep without me asking. He is learning that'll do means to walk away from stock with me UNTIL I shush him to fetch them. Only beat me once today on the darned Away flank thing he does.

I have been riding Diamond and working with Rachel down at Nola's to get her ready to come home. She sure is a nice little thing. I think we will have fun. I just wonder where to fit it all in time wise.

I have pruned the fruit trees, got the rose of sharon pruned too. Planted some pansy's . Have to tackle the pampas grasses and the butterfly bushes next. The grass is getting green and it is slowly drying up. It is wonderful to have a string of warm sunny days ahead. I am looking forward to enjoying each one of them.

That is about all that has been going on here.

No comments:

Post a Comment