rainbow on the farm

rainbow on the farm

Spirit moving sheep off the hay field

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

trouble in paradise

Something horrible has happened to Deigh. What that is exactly is still a mystery. Yesterday morning I was not greeted by Deigh as I woke from sleep. ALWAYS she hears me rustling and comes into the bedroom for her morning pets. Not so yesterday. As the fog cleared from my brain I noticed she had not come to my bedside. I shot up and out from under the covers, finding her in the living room on her dog bed. She did not even lift her head when I came over to her. I got the thermometer out and she had a normal reading . When I got her up and out she traveled as a dog who had been severly scolded. Head low, tail down, slinking in her motion. At rest she would show waves of tremble starting as her head and traveling down her back. Liken to the " a chill ran down my spine" . Not interested in food or water. I knew this dog needed to see the Doctor. For her to act this way I knew she was in a good deal of pain since we rulled out fever. Border Collies are a very stoic breed and many times are able to conceal grave illness or injury. For her to be acting this way I knew she was bad off.
At the Veterinary Hospital the usual exam was given, only to be inconclusive. 4 way snap test showed her negative for tick born illnesses. A "CBC" was run again, even though we had just done one less than two weeks ago and again showed a healthy dog.
So what happened to her overnight? She was fine when I had gone to bed. The Doctor gave her some pain med's and muscle relaxers. I was sent home with the same to give her. She has shown no sign of looking better this morning. Still not wanting food or water, reluctant to move and that hang dog gait when I take her out to relieve herself.
It rips me apart to see an animal in this way. A helpless feeling to not know where it hurts or why.

Last week a friends pup was acting off and she said she was taking it straight away to the Vet. I kidded with her saying how funny is it that we would at the drop of a hat take our animals to a Doctor long before we would even consider going for ourselves. It is very true in my case!
So if you can find it in your heart to send a little prayer up for Deigh we would be thankfull.

other than that not much to report.
My chickens seem to have been quite upset with all the activity across from their coop and have stopped the consistant laying they have given us since they started. I am now lucky to get one egg a day from the eight hens. Just a little bit more stress for them and then things will be back to normal ( again with that normal thing...is there really normalcy on a farm? ).
The first half of the modular garage is set to be delivered this Friday and the second half Monday and then put together.
I also will have a new friend Jim who I was introduced to me through Al, come up with his tractor and give our garden a really good rototilling. That should be in the next few weeks. Then the Chickens have have their peace and quite to get back to laying their yummy eggs.

Have worked the Open dogs a bit but not as much as I should and have not really concentrated on precision work needed for trialing. Something or another keeps getting in the way. Pups have had a lag in work too, but since they are not even a year yet it really does not bother me to give them breaks .
Of the regular farm work in moving momma's and lambs in and out of grass Dream, Spirit, and Bracken are working well . Listening to me , responsive. Spirit still has a slightly shorter fuse and has let into a few momma's who were not respecting her. Patience I keep reminding her.

1 comment:

  1. All my thoughts and prayers for Deigh. Hopefully it is nothing serious and she will recover soon. Please keep me posted.

    ReplyDelete