rainbow on the farm

rainbow on the farm

Spirit moving sheep off the hay field

Sunday, August 29, 2010

Splotchity

My favorite photograph of Splotchity.























It has been some time since Splotchity has passed away. We finally have the cable that connects the printer to computer (that little you know what of a Siamese cat had chewed through his second cable ) and I got around to scanning some photographs of her . So now I can pay her a propper tribute.

She was one of four kittens born one rainy day ten years ago this past May. One kitten was born dead and the three others were born to a cat I picked up while at a Lyle Lad clinic in North East PA. "Little Kitty" was I think the cutest , smallest little orange cat I have ever layed eyes on and when I expressed my interest in her I was told I could take "Buster" if I really liked her.
So when I left that March day  ten years ago, along she came in a dog crate. Yowling the whole three plus hours back to where we lived, Long Island.
Little did I know that Buster/ Little Kitty was with kittens. She was so small and maybe six or seven months old but must have gotten knocked up days before I took her home.
Two months later I had a few more kitties than planned , but what the heck and oh my gosh they were just too cute.






Of the three surviving kittens , she was the sweet gentle soul. Copper , an Orange male was playful and mischievous, Tigger was independent and tough.

Splotchity loved Paul and chose him as her person. Not that she did not love me but if there was a choice between snuggling next to me or Paul in the bed, she was next to Paul.
If it was me or Paul's lap to take a nap on she was most always bedded down on Paul.
She enjoyed the out doors but never went far from the house.
She loved the barn, but was just as happy to come inside.

We had at first called her Nickel, because she was dark silver in color, but as she grew we saw she was more a blue mottled color with "Splotches" of orange, black , silver and white.
Paul just kept calling her Splotchity and it stuck.









When we moved up to North East PA two years ago, we noticed Splotchity did not want to go outside at all. She started loosing weight, yet had an insatiable appetite. I knew from past experience this was not going to end well. We changed foods and wormed her but she just kept loosing weight. She was bright and alert....but we both knew something was terribly wrong.

We brought her to Bunker Hill Animal Hospital and tried several different things to no avail. Finally accepting that there was nothing more we could do other than love her until she was ready to leave us. It was a sad time because not only were we faced with her leaving us at a fairly young age for a cat but we had found out that our sweet Deigh was also dealing with terminal Cancer and had only months left.

We let Deigh go (at a fairly youngish eleven years old) when her Cancer metastasized mid May and Splotchity passed away this fourth of July.
It is so very hard when they leave .

"Splotchity" is survived by her mother "Little Kitty" and her sister "Tigger".
Her brother "Copper" passed away several years ago at the young age of five due to a congenital heart defect.
I know they are together at the Rainbow Bridge and he is keeping a close eye on his sister till we are all together once again.







No comments:

Post a Comment