rainbow on the farm

rainbow on the farm

Spirit moving sheep off the hay field

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

15 months old and have their learners permit to drive

It has been a while since I have given you a progress report on the pups, Flint and Rush. I really am enjoying training them.
I have just started working on driving with them and they seem to be picking it up fairly easy.
At this point I still have them dragging a line, just in case .
I am just having them fetch the sheep to me and then setting it up for them to push them past me and fall behind them. No real commands other than a stop and positioning myself to help them cover a side or hold the pressure. I want them to feel this before I start adding flank commands. They still are not one hundred percent reliable to take the correct flank and I don't want to muddy the waters by adding any confusion. I am just allowing them to take the sheep away and walking into a position that  causes them to flank., stopping them before they head the sheep and asking them to walk on .
In this way I am creating a small drive and cross drive and allowing them to get a feel of the sheep and the pressures created by driving.  Both are able after just a few sessions to be able to drive the sheep in a box around me. Other than my moving to change direction I may call their name and "here" to pull them in .  Mostly I try to keep as quiet as possible so they can keep focus on the sheep and the "new" job .



Flint taking sheep away from me.


Flint cross driving









Rush taking them away

Rush on a cross drive



No comments:

Post a Comment