rainbow on the farm

rainbow on the farm

Spirit moving sheep off the hay field

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Deigh by day...

As you know if you follow my Blog, Deigh had a tumor removed in December that was found to be a highly aggressive form of Cancer. Over the past few weeks she has been having more and more trouble with weakness in her back legs. Back in December the prognosis was anywhere from six months to a year before it came back and most likely there would be nothing we could do for Deigh when it did.
The past few days Deigh has had trouble getting her back legs under her to stand. When helped she is still able to motor along, most likely because she has a strong will and the rest of her is fit enough to compensate.

I brought her over to Bunker Hill Veterinary Hospital today. I was hoping she had a compressed  lumbar vertibra or something arthritic in her spine. Ultrasound and several X - Rays were done and confirmed what I was dreading. Her lymphnodes in her lumbar region are acutley enlarged to where they are pushing her lower bowels down and pressing up along her backbone. There also were shadows in her lungs and spleen. We have but a few weeks at best or days at worse left to enjoy her and before I will be faced with performing the " ultimate act of kindness" to her. We did not even make it to the  < six month prognosis.

I can not sing enough praise for Dr. Michele Zajac and Bunker Hill Animal Hospital. Dr.Michele waived all fees today. I can't say how much this means to me to see a Doctor who still has such sympathy and compassion for her clients. A rare thing in this day and age.
Thank you ,Thank you ,Terri Florentino for bringing me to such a wonderful Animal Hospital.
So it is now a day by day evaluation for her quality of life .

It is the burden of animal care that I just never get used to . The pain and loss are insufferable to me , yet I could not imagine my life without their company . Our cat Splotchity is also nearing the end of her illness and with facing the imminent loss of  both animals the heartache is almost too much .

Over the next weeks I hope to spend good quality time with my dog (and cat), love her even more that I do (if that is possible) and start my grieving process for our good bye.
I don't want to say it, do it .
I am not ready, would I ever be? No, I doubt it.

Still, I would like to have a dog live past twelve and not die from Cancer. I have said good by to too many good dogs taken from me by Cancer. ALL my dogs, as a matter of fact.

If you are reading this, do me a favor....LOVE your dogs .
Go and hug them and tell them they are good. Because they are .

2 comments:

  1. Those of us who live with these amazing creatures know all too well what you are going through right now Michele. I also know how much harder it is (if that is even possible) when dealing with two at once. Losing my beloved golden Teddy and his son Yogi not six months apart from one another KILLED me.

    But we get through with faith, the support of friends and the comfort of knowing we did what was best for our dear companions.

    My heart goes out to you and my tears fall with yours. Know that you will not suffer this loss alone dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Anne Marie. I know you know all too well where my heart is at. I went through this once before with Swift declining from her Cancer and then as she was at the end stage one of our old cats went down hill a week or so before . We ended up bringing them in together and letting them go. It was perhaps one of the worst days in my life and the pain is raw and comes right to the surface at the memory . While it was very horrible when I lost Badger New Years Eve it was fast and sudden. The shock of it was a bit of a distraction from the actual passing of an animal that had been part of my life for 30 years

    ReplyDelete