rainbow on the farm

rainbow on the farm

Spirit moving sheep off the hay field

Saturday, February 12, 2011

Pileated Woodpecker



Do you remember the cartoon "Woody Woodpecker" ?
I loved that cartoon. I still have my favorite cereal bowl and mug  as a child that were ( plastic) a wooden bowl and mug with Woody's face on them.
I found Woody alive and well in the woods on our farm.

I have been trying to photograph one of these birds since moving here. Yesterday I was out for a walk with the dogs. I had my camcorder, but oh how I wish I had my trusty Canon with the zoom lens. I was able at least to record this guy  (or girl )
These woodpeckers are about a foot and a half long from head to tail. In flight they look prehistoric. They are very aloof birds. Living in mature woods .

2 comments:

  1. I think that this is a female as I don't see the red stripe coming from the mouth.

    Also, hate to tell you this, but Woody Woodpecker was a red headed woodpecker. ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your right about it being female. I just figured "Woody" was one of these since he had that little red tuft on his head. After doing some Wikepedia research seems we are both wrong....it says he was a Acorn Woodpecker. I am just thrilled to have "capured" one of them after trying for a few years!

    ReplyDelete