rainbow on the farm

rainbow on the farm

Spirit moving sheep off the hay field

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

a warm winds last gasp

I'm sure this is our last hurrah for mild , delightful temperatures.
It has been unseasonably mild here as of late. Past few days up in the 70's F.
I have had my windows open at night, fresh lovely air blowing in for good sleeping conditions.
We had a spectacular sunset the night before last.














This Morning I was up early before the  sunrise and the land was covered with fog where the water runs. It was really pretty . I did get a shot of it but I guess the flash was not activated so It's a bit too dark to show the contrast. I must have not been awake enough to notice the flash not firing.














Over this past weekend I took the young dogs up to visit a friend and see how they handled taking sheep off set out person. I was happy with what I saw. They were not too concerned with dog or person and even handled a few flusters of things going bad just as they came around top of the sheep. I fooled a bit with driving but the two sets of sheep were not right for the stage of training they are at. The first group were belligerent  , and the next set were just too fast and heavy to the pressures of the field. They did give it a good go but just not ready for this yet. I will admit I was a bit disappointed , but not going to fret too much . Something to keep in the back of my mind though . At home things are progressing nicely. Both Rush and Flint are doing well with their flanks and have been picking up the whistles. Both are  (at least at home) driving the sheep out good distance, holding line  and taking flanks to turn .  I have been using about 40 sheep the past few sessions, most are my wool flock but for a few hair wethers. I have been challenging them on outwork as well. Up hills, down hills , blind runs. Both are good out runners and so I don't want to stretch them out too far and loose my top end. I want to make sure they are close enough that I can still make it up there if they are not stopping or flanking.


This is Rush taking sheep out on a drive. She is just about at the end of her comfort zone here but still a good distance away from me.







Flint starting his drive away
















Flint taking sheep off me for the drive away



After the work session I usually take sheep down to the E net for the day. Both Rush and Flint are able to drive sheep down and put them up for me if they are the last to be worked. It is nice that they can do this so I don't need to walk back and change out dogs to do this. I think it has helped them to do something to make it mesh in their minds. Now they are understanding why I need this or that flank to get where we are going or to negotiate the opening for the E Net.
Yesterday was warm enough that I could not blame Flint for cooling his feet in the sheep's water.



No comments:

Post a Comment