rainbow on the farm

rainbow on the farm

Spirit moving sheep off the hay field

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Getting ready for lambing 2011!

Our hair sheep are due to lamb out in about a month. I'll vaccinate the bred ewes this week to get ready for the little ones.
Our Wool sheep were staggered and they will lamb in late May.We took Prince out from the ewes we selected for breeding this Sunday. I put what I plan to breed in with the horses since I don't have a breeding paddock. I really think Diamond missed the sheep on Monday.

 Last year I used most of my chain link panels that were my dog runs when I lived on Long Island for lambing jugs. This year we have the runs set up for the dogs so we needed some panels for jugs. So we set out to make some a few weeks back.
They are done but for maybe some wood preserver or stain. They came out great and did not beat up the wallet too bad.
We made six, four foot and six, six foot panels.















There are holes drilled into the corners at top and bottom so they can be tied together with bale twine.
There is a bunch of two foot pieces of framing lumber left over that I think I'll try to make a few hay racks with. If I have several ewes in jugs, they can share a hay rack and keep the waste down and make the jugs easier to keep tidy.

Not much else going on . Have been getting a bit of work in on the dogs here and there. It has been pretty darn cold, maybe averaging 10 or more degrees below our average highs . The winds have been around and on days that it is not cutting through your clothes, 18 degrees Fahrenheit almost feels balmy!

Yesterday Paul and I took the dogs and snow saucers to a hill on the hayfield. LOT'S of fun , but after several walks BACK up the hill, not so much. I must be getting old! Dogs did not know what to make of the crazy humans. 

No comments:

Post a Comment