rainbow on the farm

rainbow on the farm

Spirit moving sheep off the hay field

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Milestones

There have been several Milestones in our family since my last Blog.
One : We celebrated my dad turning 90 ( ! )  on Dec. 1

Two : My dad is one of the few survivors still living who was at Pearl Harbor the day of the attacks. He was interviewed by our local paper


Ret. Air Force Officer recalls Pearl Harbor bombing - Honesdale, PA - Wayne Independent


Three : My parents are celebrating 68 ( Yes, that's right ! ) years of marriage today.

What else can I say but  WOW.

Other than that not much to write about. Winter though not officially here has come in full force.
It's been cold, not brutal but still cold. The drag of it for me it the wind. HATE IT!
I kid you not when I tell you we have had days of relentless wind, morning, noon and night.
At this point when it's kicked down to oh 15 mph steady it seems like a gentle breeze . It has been more like 25 + most times and laying in bed at night there were a few gusts that came roaring up the hill that I really thought the house was going to take off of the foundation!
We have had persistent snow squalls and showers over the past several days . Not adding up to much , but I do wonder if the wind was not blowing as hard as it has been we may have more on the ground. I think most of it just has been blown away !
While it is still blowing to beat the band out there today, at least it is sunny and not snowing.


The dogs on the other hand have no issues at all with the current weather pattern.
They love the cold weather .
It's been hard to keep the edge off them because I had not wanted to stay out long enough.
If you look at one of the photographs you can get an idea of how  eh hem... " breezy"  it has been lately.
Spirit's ear is blown straight up when she had turned into the wind!



Bracken enjoying a nice back scrub




Spirit hunting for field mice



















Dream enjoying a good face rub in the snow


I am getting used to all the extra clothes needed to stay warm , but really am having trouble moving around. I feel like the Michelin Man with all the layers of clothes. I feel hindered and sluggish in my movement.
Everything just seems to take longer to do. Usually I can knock the feedings out in about 30-40 minutes. Now it's taking me close to an hour. I have the tank heaters set up for the horses and main flock so that will help (I'm sure PP&L will enjoy the extra revenue ) but still need to maintain the Ram's water, keep it open for them to drink. I have been bringing in the chicken's waterer each night and you would think they were in the Sahara Dessert each morning when I bring them their water!

I have not been doing much with dogs. Still out of sorts but better.
Have worked to young dogs a few times. I stayed down in the lower field just off the main pasture. It has a pretty solid tree line on the west side and has kept the wind slightly tolerable. It has several low stone walls to add a bit of challenge for the youngsters to negotiate. Mostly working on getting the whistles .
Rush is pretty good with them either fetching or driving. I have not made anything difficult and have asked for a flank or stop or walk up where it would feel right for them to do so.
Flint is doing well with all but his flank whistles. Now I'm not saying he is bad with them but he just is not quite sure yet. He knows when he hears either one that it's a flank ...oh but what one is it ?
Should I go left or right?
Rush is just a bit more solid here.
I am using all of the main flock to keep the sheep a bit more heavy so that they can push as well as not need to try to learn a whistle on flighty sheep. That will come later , once I feel the really do have a understanding of each tweet.


 Flint




Rush



















Lastly,  two of the litter mates have stepped to the post and made their first outing at sheepdog trials.
Liz Phares who took a pup off this breeding ran her pup Juniper in the Novice class at a benefit trial in ( I think) MO.
She ran against a handful of other Novice dogs and took a first and second place respectfully.
Maggie Chambers has a pup too that she named Strike and ran her in Pro Novice at Leslie Whitney's fun trial this past weekend.
She was very happy with her work but said that the sheep were quite light and since it was a fun trial she walked to help her dog get a better handle on the sheep on the drive out. She said she was pleased with the way her pup handled the pen having never worked her at one. She managed the pen , telling me that they were not easy to get in.
So looking like pups are off to a good start in both of their trialing careers! 

No comments:

Post a Comment