rainbow on the farm

rainbow on the farm

Spirit moving sheep off the hay field

Sunday, May 1, 2016

training time

This past week I "formally" started Pearl and Carey's foundation training. Since about 7 months I would expose them to the flock to see where they were at mentally. Both showed good interest but also lack of maturity . Goofy young dog stuff , but nothing rash or dangerous to them or my sheep. I was in no way part of the picture but I was able to call them off after they had their fun.

I selected four sheep to use in a round pen format. These were dogged but in no way "puppy" type sheep. I like to use light fresh sheep to start pups rather than the Velcro , unreactive  type so that a pup can learn through effect ( right or wrong method ) and the ramifications of poor choices. I also find the over dogged type to be frustrating to wade through to work on a partnership with my dog and think it causes frustration for a dog to endlessly circle with little reaction from the sheep. I'll use quieter sheep later on, but that's another blog :)

This video is the fourth go in the round pen. The first few had all the usual scenarios of excited pups, tails coming up, buzzing and fly by's with a grab at a sheep butt on the pass. I was not really part of the plan and patience was needed to get a change of direction and or keeping the sheep from bolting or jumping the pen.
Yet what I liked was in these four sessions they learned to relax, include me in the game and calm down . The sheep in turn calmed down and relaxed with the pups. So in a matter of maybe four 10 minute sessions I saw some interesting changes . From crazed, tight, buzzing fools to pups relaxing and thinking about me and the sheep.
I still see some lack of confidence but that will come in time.


No comments:

Post a Comment