rainbow on the farm

rainbow on the farm

Spirit moving sheep off the hay field

Thursday, February 19, 2015

deep freeze

What can I say other than " stick a fork in me, I'm done ".



November had one exciting highlight with the addition of a 75 HP 4WD Case IH Farm Tractor













December was  " It's cold out, I'll try to make the best of it". You could function, without feeling you were going to loose fingers or toes staying out in it.
I managed to work dogs some, had a friend up to train dogs, we wormed the flock and tagged last springs lambs. I sorted sheep off and got some down to the sales just before Christmas.
It was warm enough to be muddy and even had the truck and trailer stuck on the day I was taking the sheep to market and had to use the tractor to pull them out.
Sharon Nunan working her dog Rock














January came screaming in like a Banshee and comments escalading from "It's cold out...."   to
" Holy S*** it's cold, I can't feel my fingers, toes or my face"!
But the snow was scattered and not heavy. Some warm days mixed in and you could work dogs on the kinder days other than just doing chores.

Opal







Rush 

Opal 

Flint

 
 
 
We also had a visitor and I was able to get a photo.
 








































































As well at this photo "capture" one early morning















February has me contemplating a move to somewhere like Virginia or North Carolina.
Mid January the bottom dropped out temperature wise and the snows became more frequent and with a little more punch.
No "warm" days mixed in and the sun was hard to come by.
I think the weatherman said we have only had two days in six weeks that were "above average" and trust me 30 degrees felt like Tee shirt and shorts weather!















This was becoming all to common to see on the digital thermometer. There even were a few mornings that the thermometer offered no readings at all.
It flat lined on us. It just did not have the heart to let us know how cold it was out there.
 
But the dedicated dog owner I am meant I still needed to get the crew out for walks as best as I could manage. We now were wrapped in a deep blanket of cold and snow. Too deep with snow with some ice to not want to risk injury using dogs other than needed. 
Did  these harsh weather conditions bother the dogs? Hell No!
They really could care a less and embraced  deep snow, cutting winds and blizzard Snowsqualls without a blink on an eye and found ways to amuse each other.
 
Dream
Opal
Flying dog
 
Spirit


 
 
Flint

Bracken
Rush
" I believe I can fly"
 





















































you know it's time to go in when you see your dogs eyes are frozen closed!














but even during the harshest weather conditions if you look, you can always find beauty.









 































No comments:

Post a Comment