rainbow on the farm

rainbow on the farm

Spirit moving sheep off the hay field

Thursday, August 25, 2011

22 years ago today






















It really is hard to believe 22 years have passed since we said "I do". 
I guess there is some truth to the saying "time flies when your having fun!"

I do have breaking news! As of 5:30 last night we finished with getting our hay in !!! Yesterday we managed to get 562 bales off the last of the field. With the help of three boys, Cody,Joe , his brother Nick and some help from Rob's wife a powerhouse turbo charged Porche (I mean, if she was a car) Nola.
We put up about six wagons of hay in just a little over three hours.

Remember that empty loft I showed you a while back ?


please note the light bulb at top right of loft.

no room left in main loft , so started stacking in the side loft.














so , lets see...what else have I been up to you may be asking yourself ?
Well, the posts are set for the new pasture/horse turn out/young dog training field.



Still need to set the H braces and gates as well as the woven wire fence .





I've also been brush cutting.
Since we moved here I had a pasture roughly three acres on the east side of our property that was going wild. Blackberry and my Nemesis, Multi Floral Rose were getting a foothold in it. I had been a little leary of it because it was somewhat of a steep rolling field. I have a healthy respect for machinery and it's limitations. Rolling a tractor is just not that high on my list.
Yet it was really starting to irritate me to see land I could be using , but hell it was so overgrown I could not even get TO it .
So I said screw it, lets just try and see how far I can get. Now I will admit , I had a few "pucker" moments while I was reclaiming what is ours but in the end a huge satisfaction to have grabbed this land back from my prickly thorn encrusted Nemesis.





brush cut path to reclaimed pasture







Also finally got around to setting up the sheep handling equipment I bought last year!
We will have some tweaking and modifications to what we have set up right now, but as I mentioned to Paul at least we know how it goes together the next time!

  
Other than that, same old.
Had my friend Lori come up a few weeks ago to borrow some puppy sheep for her next hopeful, Anna. Same way bred as her Matt who she is doing so well with.
My friend Maggie was up Tuesday to visit and work her young dog Strike (litter mate to Rush and Flint) on out flock. I video taped her work sessions for her . Strike looked great.

So now, I need to get back to a little training of my own. Have been doing work but not managing to train. I am seeing that I have been letting some little things go, because I just want to get 'er done. Older dogs can be forgiving of this but I see a little slack in the younger ones. Got lot's of spaces and stock to mess about so will get back to sharpening up a little sloppy handling ! It is after all my fault , not the dogs.



Finally I'll leave you with a sunset from the other night. While having this farm causes me not to be able to get away often, there are so many times I think to myself  "now why would you want to ever leave" ?






No comments:

Post a Comment