rainbow on the farm

rainbow on the farm

Spirit moving sheep off the hay field

Monday, September 20, 2010

natures bounty

Summer is winding down quickly . The weather has a hint of what is to come but still all and all it has been lovely. After last summer I never ever thought I would look forward to some good rainy days. We are in draught conditions up here. Wayne county is not as severe as our surrounding neighbor counties but it has been really dry and lacking rain this summer.

Last week we had a weather system blow just North of us. It closely missed us.

It came so close, that I was able to get a few photographs as it roared by. We had just a sprinkle and a little breeze from it, but of the places it crossed over had 1 1/2 inch hail and 60 + mph winds.

It sure looked like a tornado brewing to me as it slipped North of our farm.







































our garden is winding down but was a pretty good producer this year.



























I planted all Heirloom varieties of Tomatoes this year and had a bumper crop of them.



















There are still a quite a few left on the vines, though the plants are
looking tired and weary .

our corn is ready and ripe, though not as good as we hoped. I think it was too cool to start and then too hot.














the pumpkins are coming along and I have a few nice sized ones in the patch.













cucumbers are done but we had a bumper crop of them too.

The wild blackberries and raspberries were out of this world this summer. So good to eat off the brambles and the yield was incredible.

So what does one do with all of Natures Bounty before the snow starts flying?


What ever one (eh hem ) CAN .



We had a visit from Ron, the guy who taps our Maple trees for syrup.
 He dropped off several bottles of syrup, maple candy , teas and assorted other goodies as well as a check for the use of our trees.
Now how cool is that?



Got a barn full of hay , though less than last year. I'm sure this year is more the average take off the hayfield than last years glut.
Got the hair ram in with some girls and in a few weeks I'll expose some of the Wool sheep to the Rams. I think I'll use both this year. A little of this, a little of that.
I hope to have a trial here sometime next fall so need to build up the flock for it.

Been training the dogs and all are doing well.
My two young ones are coming along. I have been raising the bar a bit with them. Asking them to be more accountable to the correct flanks without my making it terrible easy or obvious what direction to go as well as off balance and inside flanks. Always a tough time for most young dogs as it takes quite a bit of mental stress for them to work it out. I can't say they are rocket scientist's but I like how they are handling the pressure and working through it. Each gets better and more reliable to take the correct flank each training session. I will rest the little brains with just plain chore type work or easy simple sessions every few works. I find for me it keeps them fresh and helps at keep building on  a good relationship.
It is hard on me and the dogs when working through the learning of new things and the ultimate confusion that comes with it.

Paul and I finally got a section of Electronet up in the back pastures. It kills me that the sheep would walk through knee deep lush pasture to escape through the failing fence line, sneaking into the hay field. So now they are unable to get out. Confined by four sections of fence to eat knee deep lush grass...awe the poor beasts.

This will be a great training tool for the two youngsters, though. Gathering the flock out of the home pasture and pushing them to the back section. Same to bring them in at night. May help them to relate the flanks I ask for with the work that will be needed.

I'll let you know how it works out....

1 comment:

  1. You have become quite the farmer. I am impressed! I had four tomato plants on my back deck - we got all of three tomatoes. Sigh...

    Best of luck to Flint & Rush as they learn to flank the fleeing flock! :-)

    ReplyDelete